Chapter 1 Response

Chapter One gave me a clear indication about what this whole book is going to be about: genre. Choosing a genre to write depends on personal style, relevant information, and target audience. It is important to having a solid understanding of genre and how other authors utilize it to most effectively compose. For example, an author could use a memoir to inform and connect with the audience at the same time. In my AP Lang class in high school, my teacher stressed the importance of rhetoric, also known as the ability to communicate effectively and with a purpose. It is important to ask yourself why you are composing. Up to this point, my reason for writing has been for school, following strict grading rubrics. Now I realize that is imperative to consider the different types of effects that different genres present. For example, a person can write to persuade, to inform, or to present a narrative. 
Depending on the purpose of a piece, different genres fit different scenarios. Also, up to this point in my writing, I have not adequately considered the significance of audience and the role it can play in choosing or analyzing genre. I think that different modes and medias can best be tailored to fit a specific audience. The example in the text presented two different genres on the same topic. The first was a press release, to inform an audience that was looking for a clear and concise portrayal of the information. While the second piece, a blog, offered a more colloquial and friendly feel with visual aids. In the end, they both provided an accurate description of the information but the different genres posed equally effective perspectives. This chapter also stressed the importance of sources in a piece of writing. Coming from a high school class where all we did was write academic papers, it was easy for me to acknowledge the worth of quality sources. Overall, this chapter had useful information and provided me with a clear picture of what is to come while exploring new genres and learning how to perfect old ones. 

Comments

  1. Same here. My AP Lang teacher loved to tell us to use a lot of egos, logos, and pathos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily
    It's good to see you could pick up on the different aspects that make a genre. I found it curious, though, that you mentioned that you never considered audience before, but I think you actually did, because you mentioned following the rubrics, and I supposed you followed rubrics in order to get a good grade, and please the teacher, who was your audience back there. Sometimes we don't realize that we're actually considering different audiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1 Response

Project 2 Reflection

Action Plan