Chapter 1 Review - Danielle Regueiro

Chapter 1, while not extremely thrilling, serves as an excellent introduction to the rest of the book and, by extension, the course. I think the best things about the chapter were the basic, yet informative, descriptions of what genres are and what terms such as "rhetorical situation." A good  number of the terms discussed in the chapter were new to me, so I got to learn something new. I liked how the chapter would, after introducing a new topic, explain the topic and provide at least one example in a real-world setting. I enjoyed when Scott McCloud’s Understanding Comics was discussed because I love comics.
Reading the chapter was also extremely educational because it talks about how factors other than just your topic can affect the impact of one’s story. Although I was already familiar with ethos, pathos, and logos, they were all approached from a different perspective and provided examples that were easy to follow and understand.
One of the things about Chapter 1 that I find so much better than other times I’ve learned about any of these topics is that at the end of the chapter there are multiple full articles to read as well as a walkthrough on how all of the previous topics are shown in the articles.

Comments

  1. Hi Danielle
    I'm happy to hear that you enjoy the book and the examples it carries. Also, terminology as "rhetorical situation" is fundamental when becoming a scholar and involved in academia, so it's awesome that you're paying attention to those definitions. Great reading response!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1 Response

Project 2 Reflection

Action Plan