Reading Response to Shitty First Drafts

Overall, this article is discussing the idea that one should write a first draft. It doesn't matter if the first draft contains errors, incomplete thoughts, etc. The purpose is to get all your thoughts and ideas down ,either on paper or typing, so that later you can go back and fix it up into a better writing piece. The one idea from this article that I don't agree with is the idea of writing three essays to achieve the final work. I think that's going slightly overboard. It's already enough that we, as students, have to write long and vigorous term papers but to rewrite and revise each one three times? I understand that you're not completely rewriting the piece but it seems that the process might be too tedious. However, I do understand the importance of this idea and the logical reason behind the first draft process. 

This article was particularly interesting to me for various reasons. One being is that the author has been in many types of writing positions. Having this experience is great for learning how to navigate through certain writing pieces to better fit the needs of the audience. For example, her position of writing as a food critic (which she describes as weird and humorous at times) varies greatly from a writing piece as a clerk-typer. I also found it interesting how she included her own experience of writing first drafts, as well as the emotions she felt. This makes the article quite relatable to the readers.

However, this article was somewhat eye opening to the process of writing and tweaking. Typically when I write my academic essays or writing pieces in general, I do all my writing in one sitting. I feel that I can't conjure up the right ideas and evidence at times. This article really gives me a different perspective to slow down and let out all my thoughts. I think this method can prove to be effective for my future writings. The idea of brainstorming and writing without constriction can lead too the creation of new thought patterns. I plan to utilize this technique for my first paper and see how the results work out.

Comments

  1. I experience the same rushed feeling during writing and that the article helped to create a completely new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amiyah
    Thank you for your sincerity in this response. Yes, writing in three drafts can be boring, but writing is a slow process that unfortunately takes time. I think it's great, though, that you find the idea interesting and that you plan to use it in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1 Response

Project 2 Reflection

Action Plan