When creating my first draft, it was pretty complicated because I was trying to perfect my first draft, which is a habit that I have had for years, but I was also trying to remember the article "Shitty First Drafts" that I read and reminding myself that it is okay to make mistakes on the first draft. My experience with writing my draft was sort of different from the text because I continued to revert back to old habitats, and I was not completely comfortable in writing down my thoughts imperfectly. I am so used to treating my first draft as my final draft, and I tend to stress myself out as a result. My experience was also similar to the text in a way that I did at some point just write down my thoughts instead of going into deep thinking on how I can make a clever statement. Therefore, I have mixed feelings on my draft, but I know I will be able to treat my first draft as my first draft.
Chapter 1
I felt that this chapter could be very beneficial in helping to enhance my writing. Often times in class when I am told to write, I begin without consideration for my audience or genre, instead hoping to impress the reader with vast amounts of extraneous details. I thought it was interesting that depending on the intended audience, sometimes simplicity can be a better method of explanation rather than lengthy detailed sentences. This ideal completely contradicts everything the average student has grown up learning. In high school we were taught that in order to pass an AP exam, we must keep writing. “Write until you run out of time”, our teachers would say. It seems here that the importance is more placed on the quality of contents rather than the quantity. An interesting theory to me is that when a seasoned writer begins their work, do t...
I found writing the first draft to be quite difficult as well. I am so used to perfecting my work that I actually kept re-reading my draft to make sure it made sense.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that writing the first draft was difficult. I also try to perfect my first draft and found myself rereading and editing it over and over again.
ReplyDelete